Monday, May 11, 2009

Every Princesses King and Her Prince Charming

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.".

Genesis 1:24 (Contemporary English Version).

I recently attended a wedding where I was the hired audio technician. This meant, like other times where I have provided this service that I did not know anyone in the wedding party or the families represented in attendance. Being a casual observer gives me a chance to objectively observe the proceedings..

Invariably, every bride desires her father to walk her down the aisle and bless the union by giving her away to her beloved spouse-to-be. Even when daddy may have failed miserably in giving of himself to his little princess in the way she always needed him too. And, when daddy cannot be there because maybe he has passed away or is not a part of her life, the bride will usually seeks out a father figure to stand in his place..

This speaks to the intrinsic need of every little girl's need to have that fairy tale moment when king and princess march down the aisle together to present her to her chosen Prince Charming. I have seen many hurts, absences and grievous failures on king daddy's part forgiven, at least for a brief moment, in order to have that dream come true moment..

This dream come true moment was so important to my bride that, even though we got married at my father-in-law's church, she did not want her father to perform the wedding. She wanted her daddy to walk down the aisle, present her to me, and be standing next to her, ready to answer when the preacher asked, "Who presents this woman to be married to this man". This was a place of honor in her eyes and heart, one she had dreamed of him holding her whole life..

In the way that God ordained the universe, every little princess is supposed to have her daddy as her original first love. He has the awesome duty of teaching g her how she should expect to be loved by that man she eventually chooses to spend the grown up years of her life with. She needs to know that not only is she still his little girl, she needs to know that he approves of her choice and that her first love is willing to give over his role in her life to her husband-to-be. If her daddy has done his job correctly, she will truly find a Prince Charming that is capable of actually loving, cherishing, and providing her essential emotional needs better than he can. it is always obvious when this has been achieved or not by how the exchange between daddy, his little girl, and his soon to be new son goes before, during and after the ceremony..

Every little princess dreams of her someday Prince Charming, but in the time until she gives herself fully to him, daddy will always be her first and most meaningful love. If her daddy has done his job correctly, leading up to this day, he can hand over her hand with confidence and accept her choice as a son, not just the son-in-law who stole his daughter away from him. He can be confident knowing that his new son had to meet and most likely exceed his love and treatment of her to have been found acceptable in her eyes..

My little princess will one day come home with a boy for my inspection. As much as I treasure, I know God has created someone who will treasure her more than me. I am preparing her to only recognize him when she finds him, but also to be prepared physically, mentally, and spiritually to be the best partner to him she can be. This is because I understand how much fulfillment she will discover from a happy and harmonious home with a growing and loving marriage relationship at its center..

I plan on helping her out. On or around one of her late teen birthdays I will present her with a single glass slipper (that will hopefully fit her feet then and on her wedding day). I will keep the other one. This way she will always know if a young man asks her for her hand in marriage and he does not have the other slipper in hand when he proposes, he has not yet loved her enough to honor her by asking me for her hand before asking that big question. But, the man who shows up with that slipper in hand, she will know that not only do I approve of him, but I believe he is the one to whom I am happy to turn the heart I have held and guarded her whole lifelong to..

No comments: